Energy Transition Platform
The Energy Transition Platform is part of The Climate Group's States & Regions Policy Innovation program. It is designed to support state and regional governments in developing and implementing innovative clean energy policies.
The Climate Group, alongside the initiative’s lead government and member of States & Regions Alliance, North Rhine-Westphalia, launched Energy Transition Platform in early 2016 with the aim to connect highly industrialized, carbon intensive states and regions to:
- Analyze energy transition experiences.
- Enable in-depth global peer learning on energy transition policies and initiatives.
- Overcome barriers to energy transition challenges and adopt innovative models.
The Energy Transition Platform facilitates the adoption of emerging innovative policy models by states and regions, but also demonstrates the need for scaled-up action at the national and international level.
Read our Energy Transition Platform Overview to learn more about the project.
The Energy Transition Platform has two main phases:
1. During the Peer Forum phase, energy transition experiences are analyzed and participating governments exchange and learn about successful models and shared challenges.
2. During the Innovation Lab phase, the governments work closely together to spread the most promising energy transition innovations and initiatives through adoption, scale-up and solution-finding for overcoming barriers.
This graphic shows the detailed timeline, aims and tools that are used to succeed:
The Energy Transition Platform connects a select group of state and regional governments across some of the most highly industrialized territories in the world. Participating governments share structural economic similarities, i.e. strong industry and fossil fuel reliance, as well as ambitious climate commitments and the will to accelerate the energy transition (this assessment was made possible by using data reported through the Compact of States and Regions in 2015).
This selection will enable the government practitioners to effectively learn about their peers’ activities and policy initiatives in areas relating to their own energy transition challenges. The Energy Transition Platform is a partner led initiative – with content shaped by participating governments.
The Government of North Rhine-Westphalia is the lead government of the Energy Transition Platform. Contributing to over 30% of German GHG emissions and producing one third of German energy, North Rhine-Westphalia is a prime example of how the energy transition can work.
Since it was announced earlier this year, partner regions have joined the initiative that include: Alberta, the Basque Country, California, Hauts-de-France, Lombardy, Minnesota, Silesia, South Australia, Upper Austria, and Wales.
Knowledge partners, such as research institutes and think tanks, will support the Energy Transition Platform with scientific background analysis, data collection and verification of methodologies.
Expert partners and stakeholders, such as companies and interest groups, will join meetings where relevant for the specific topic of the discussion. They are also decisive when developing and testing opportunities for the adoption of emerging solutions.
The Energy Transition Platform is funded by Stiftung Mercator.
- Highly industrialized states and regions to shape clean energy roadmap through new platform
- Low carbon energy policy benefits our ecological and economic development: Minister Johannes Remmel of North Rhine-Westphalia
- Heavy-industry states and regions partner to shift global energy landscape
For more information contact Anne-Sophie Dörnbrack, States & Regions Policy Manager (Energy Transition), The Climate Group | +44 (0)20 7960 2977