LED Scale-up consultation
Building on the successful results from the LightSavers LED trials, supported by Philips Lighting, in 2014 The Climate Group launched the Global LED Consultation program. It aims to identify and address remaining barriers to LED adoption and help accelerate the scale-up of energy efficient street lighting around the globe.
Although an increasing number of cities have now switched to LEDs with many early adopters reporting significant energy savings, we set out to discover why many global cities have still yet to make the switch.
We recognized that every city and region can have a unique history, lighting infrastructure and financing approach, and therefore our consultation approach was to hold interviews and informal discussions with the local stakeholders to discover the specific regional barriers that were delaying adoption. Once we key topics are identified, we then plan and convene meetings and workshops to explore potential solutions.
This approach has been highly effective, with many requests for additional events and workshops. So far, we have successfully run various events and workshops in the UK and Europe, US, Brazil, Dubai, India, Singapore, and Hong Kong and China. Now we are planning follow up as well as expanding into new regions.
We encourage states and regions representatives, cities and utilities from around the world to contact us to participate in our LED consultations – and help address remaining issues they feel are crucial for achieving the LED lighting transition.
We also seek to involve existing users of LEDs to highlight their achievements and lessons learned, so we can share findings and recommendations.
If you are considering a future LED lighting upgrade, are currently involved in LED procurement, or have already made the switch, please feel free to contact us and share your experiences.
Alongside our ongoing global consultation events, over the coming months, the LED scale-up program will also focus on the following themes:
- LED EVENTS: Upcoming events linked our LED work.
- LED PUBLICATIONS: The Climate Group’s LED publications, reports and summaries.
- LED KNOWLEDGE BASE: Growing database of LED related information and reference materials [Under construction].
- LED FINANCING: Program to explore existing and new LED financing models for cities and opportunities to leverage wider sources of finance for large scale LED infrastructure projects – particularly in developing countries.
- LED ADOPTION BY UTILITIES: Program to identify opportunities and drive supporting policies to help drive adoption of energy efficient LED lighting by utilities.
- OFF GRID LED LIGHTING: Exploring opportunities for off-grid LED lighting solutions in city and rural locations.
Other LED work themes are in development
|LED Scale-up: Two-page overview of our latest work and main activities for the coming year.||The Big Switch: First report under the new LED campaign revealing initial findings from our consultation work.||Consultation Handout: An extended summary outlining key factors for cities exploring LED street lighting.|
The LED Scale-up consultation includes a number of events around the globe. The regional consultations begin in advance of each event to ensure key areas for discussion are on the agenda, and that key stakeholders and potential solution providers are invited to participate.
The event schedule is provided below.
- January 23 Consultation launch at WEF, Davos
- April 28 UK, London Roundtable
- May 29 UEA Dubai Roundtable
- August 5 India, Mumbai, Workshop
- September 10 Brazil, Sao Paulo, workshop
- September 22 Climate Week NYC 2014
- November 20 Austin TX, USA, workshop
- November 25 Singapore/Malaysia
- December 11 Beijing, China
- April 2 India, New Delhi, Workshop
- July 13 USA, Washington, NARUC Conference
- September 24 USA, Climate Week NYC
- September 29 London, Climate Works Conference
- November - December COP21
- December 14 Republic of Korea, UNESCAP conference
- 23 February , LED street lighting toolkit training, London UK – DECC and Local Partnership
- 3 March, Green Growth Forum 2016, Cardiff UK - Welsh Government and The Climate Group
- 23-24 March, China Cleantech Summit 2016, Beijing – The Climate Group
- 30-31 March, UNEP-U4E Expert Task force on energy efficient lighting, Paris
- 7-8 April, LED Lighting financing in India – EESL and World Bank
UPCOMING EVENTS where TCG’s LED work will be featured.
- 11-12 May 2016, Energy Efficiency Global - Washington USA – US Utilities follow-up in planning
- 1-2 June 2016, Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM) 7 – San Francisco, USA
- 1-2 June 2016, LED Financing – Sao Paulo, Brazil – The World Bank and The Climate Group
- 6-10 June 2016, Asia Clean Energy Forum – Manila, Philippines – TBC
- 28-29 June 2016, Business and Climate Summit (BCS)– London, UK
- 18-19 August 2016, Indian Off-Grid Energy Summit – New Delhi
- 19 September 2016, Climate Week NYC headline event
- 22 September 2016, Climate Week NYC LED day
- 26-28 September 2016, Climate Chance – Nantes, France - TBC
- 2016 Middle-East Workshop – TBC
- 2016 Malaysia/Philippines consultation workshop – TBC
For more information contact Dr Ben Ferrari, Partnerships Director, The Climate Group at firstname.lastname@example.org