Climate Week NYC 2011 in review
- 23 September 2011
From 19-26 September 2011, New York City hosted Climate Week NYC 2011, the annual summit boasting high-level meetings between the world’s leading businesses and governments and an exciting array of public-facing events, all focused on driving a Clean Revolution.
Now in its third year, Climate Week NYC brought together The Climate Group, Carbon Disclosure Project, China Center, PlaNYC, the United Nations Global Impact, the UN Foundation, The City of New York, The New York Academy of Sciences, TckTckTck and an array of international business, government, non-profit and thought-leaders for the biggest Climate Week NYC yet.
With a record number of climate-focused affiliate events and very high-profile Opening Ceremony for the launch of The Clean Revolution campaign - which received a tremendous reaction from the business and government leaders who attended, as well as the full attention of popular media across the planet - Climate Week NYC 2011 was once again an unmissable event on the climate change calendar.
Powerful world leaders including: the Rt. Hon. Tony Blair, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Andrew Steer, the World Bank, Achim Steiner, the UN and Premier Jean Charest, Quebec, called for others to join them in leading The Clean Revolution campaign at the Climate Week NYC Opening Ceremony.
The Climate Group’s three-year goal through The Clean Revolution campaign is to work with partners to inspire the world’s most influential government and business leaders to take transformational action on climate change, creating a tipping point towards securing a better, smarter and more prosperous future for all.
You can learn more about The Clean Revolution and explore eight case studies on transformational leadership across the world, at TheCleanRevolution.org.
CLIMATE WEEK NYC IN THE NEWS
As well as the call to join the Clean Revolution by the C40, the UN, the World Bank and The Climate Group which was published as a full page letter in the global edition of the Financial Times, the Climate Week NYC Opening Ceremony and The Clean Revolution campaign launch received 185 million media impressions and counting, from coverage in major news outlets such as:
The Huffington Post, September 19, 2011: At NYC Climate Week, Leaders Launch Clean Revolution
CNBC, September 19, 2011: UN, the World Bank, NYC Mayor Bloomberg, Tony Blair Call upon Government, Business Leaders to Join the Clean Revolution The Climate Group's 3-year campaign calls for transformative action on climate change - aims to create a tipping point for the low carbon economy
GreenBiz, September 19, 2011: Climate Week Kicks Off with a Call for a 'Clean Revolution'
MarketWatch, September 19, 2011: UN, the World Bank, NYC Mayor Bloomberg, Tony Blair Call upon Government, Business Leaders to Join the Clean Revolution
CLIMATE WEEK NYC HIGHLIGHTS
- The Clean Revolution announcement September 19, 2011: The united call by Rt. Hon. Tony Blair, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Jean Charest, Québec Premier, Andrew Steer, the World Bank and Achim Steiner, the UN, for business and government leaders to join the Clean Revolution. >>
- A call to join the Clean Revolution by the C40, the UN, the World Bank and The Climate Group, was published as a full page letter in the global edition of the Financial Times. September 19, 2011:
- Business Leaders Panel September 19, 2011: Business leaders from IKEA, GE, Swiss Re, Vanke and the Global CCS Institute spoke to the ‘The Role of Business in a Clean Revolution’. >>
- Powering the Clean Energy Revolution: A Business and Government Leaders Dialogue September 19, 2011: A private dialogue with Platinum Sponsor Global CCS Institute on the role of carbon capture and storage in the Clean Revolution. >>
- Rethinking Resiliency: Innovative Solutions for Climate Adaptation September 19, 2011: High-level panel with Climate Week NYC Founding Sponsor Swiss Re on climate adaptation. >> To see videos and photo galleries of the above events, click on the images on the right.