Scottish Minister for Environment and Climate Change shares vision for low carbon Scotland in exclusive video message
- 23 September 2014
NEW YORK: As state and regional government leaders from around the world converge for Climate Week NYC, Paul Wheelhouse MSP, The Minister for Environment and Climate Change, The Scottish Government, shares his vision for a low carbon Scotland in this exclusive video message.
The Scottish Government, a member of The Climate Group's States & Regions Alliance, has set world-leading greenhouse gas emission reduction targets of at least 42% by 2020 and 80% by 2050 compared to 1990 levels.
As you will hear in the below video, the government aims to drive low carbon growth to "provide leadership and certainty for the businesses and people of Scotland".
Paul Wheelhouse, Minister for Environment and Climate Change, The Scottish Government, says in the video Scotland also supports progress to secure a global climate deal at COP21 next year: "Scotland is committed to play a part in tackling climate change and encouraging others to follow suit in agreeing an ambitous new climate agreement at Paris 2015."
The Minister explains Scotland has already increased renewables 30% compared to baseline levels - with a threefold increase in wind power in the last decade - and is confident its renewables supply will meet 100% of Scotland's electricity needs by 2020.
Watch the exclusive video message
Read more about Scotland's efforts as part of our States & Regions Alliance or visit Scotland's government website for more info. This week Stop Climate Chaos Scotland released a short film about climate action in Scotland to inspire other countries to follow the region's ambitious path on climate action.
Today The Climate Group launched a States and Regions Compact and report about innovative sub-national climate policy at the UN Climate Summit, which takes place during Climate Week NYC and is the collaborative space for all related events in support of the Summit.
You can also see our Climate Week NYC media resources for press releases, contacts and more info.
ee key photos of the Climate Week NYC Opening Day here:
- Climate Week NYC kicks off with Secretary John Kerry, Ban Ki-moon and Apple CEO Tim Cook, ahead of UN Climate Summit
- On heels of Compact launched at UN Climate Summit, new report shows states and regions are innovating on climate policy
- Mark Kenber: Climate Week NYC will help secure critical business and government buy-in for a global climate deal next year
- New record high CO2 pollution levels must fire up progress at global climate talks
- Low carbon is THE growth market if we seize it now: New Climate Economy report spells it out
- Record 100 events now confirmed for Climate Week NYC 2014
- "Demand, purchase and use low carbon products and services. Make low carbon sexy!": Christiana Figueres on how business and consumers can fuel climate talks