Our Member Principles
Climate change is an opportunity.
It’s an opportunity for a Clean Revolution that will create a low carbon world, and a more prosperous life for all.
Driving the Clean Revolution will generate returns now and in the future for those who lead and those they touch: jobs, wealth, security, and better quality of life.
We can make this a reality with the technologies and ideas we have today, but it will only happen with inspired leadership now in business and in government.
The Climate Group Partners play a key role in catalyzing this leadership and signing our Principles is a commitment to that.
- The atmosphere is fundamentally important as a global commons for all and that the climate plays a critical role in shaping human society, the global economy, and the natural world.
- Present and future generations have the right to a climate that does not diminish socioeconomic opportunities or negatively impact the functioning of natural systems as a result of human activity.
- Climate change is an urgent problem that requires collaborative international efforts to substantially reduce global greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and transition to a low carbon economy.
- The transition to a low carbon economy within a timeframe that minimizes the risk of serious impacts is compatible with, and essential for, promoting economic growth and increasing human prosperity.
- A broad market transformation is needed in the way we produce and consume energy, with a rapid shift to low and no carbon energy sources and substantially increased efficiency and energy savings. Transforming the market and reducing GHG emissions must be pursued in a manner that equitably reconciles development goals and climate protection.
- Individuals, companies and all levels of governments share the responsibility to minimize GHG emissions by implementing or providing solutions and measures, many of which already exist.
- Demonstrate our low carbon leadership by focusing our activities in a way that contributes to reducing emissions in the short, medium and long term.
- Set clear aims to reduce GHG emissions and explore the full range of options available to us to achieve this.
- Make information about our efforts publicly available and share the lessons we learn with others to support their low carbon leadership.
- Work with our partners, clients and stakeholders to use our influence to help them reduce their GHG emissions.
- Provide support in the development and implementation of well-designed, cost-effective policies that promote the commercialization and deployment of low carbon energy sources and clean technologies over the short and long term.
- Engage with the work of The Climate Group and support the successful implementation of the organization’s programs.
Download our Member Principles: