Global economic and health systems are facing extreme pressures in 2020. Governments at all levels are focused on responding to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, but at the same time the climate crisis continues to pose a significant challenge.
States and regions are increasingly seizing this opportunity to recover better, even while dealing with the effects of a devastating crisis.
Building back greener shines a spotlight on the trailblazers that are revamping their transportation systems, streamlining renewable energy projects and designing new finance mechanisms to ensure a just transition from COVID-19.
The report takes examples from eleven governments across Asia, Europe and North America:
- California, U.S. – raising ambition on zero emission vehicle roll-out
- Massachusetts, U.S. – pursuing its transition to low and zero-carbon vehicles
- Nevada, U.S. - reducing greenhouse gas and criterial pollutants emissions from vehicles
- Rhode Island, U.S. - advancing a 100% renewable future by 2030
- New York State, U.S. - streamlining the process for introducing economical and environmentally friendly renewable energy projects
- Scotland, UK - delivering a green recovery that improves resilience to future crises and drives the wellbeing economy
- Navarra, Spain - developing the region’s social and economic model in line with the European Green Deal and the EU Recovery Plan
- Emilia-Romagna, Italy - placing social, economic and environmental sustainability at the heart of government policies
- North Rhine-Westphalia – introducing a €3.6 billion recovery package to stimulate the economy
- Catalonia – expanding its carbon tax scheme, with money raised contributing to a climate change fund
- Chungnam, South Korea – transitioning towards a cleaner and greener energy economy through 31 inspiring projects as part of the Chungnam New Deal
We are in the Climate Decade and the message is stark: if we do not act with urgency then we will lose our chance to act at all. We urge all states and regions to follow in the footsteps of these leading examples.
Under2 Coalition - Building back greener.pdf
Size: 16.89 MB
Date added: 28/10/20