We are leading on a Call to Action in Germany for an accelerated electric vehicle (EV) transition, in partnership with a number of leading companies with significant operations in Germany. Together, we are advocating for a concrete phase-out date of 2032 for sales of new cars with internal combustion engines (ICE) and consistent support for the further market ramp-up for electromobility.
The German political context
The level of ambition of German climate policy is increasing, and with it the demands on individual economic sectors is rising. Through the Immediate Climate Protection Programme 2022, which includes a "Concerted Action on Climate-Friendly Mobility", the German government will show how it intends to achieve the new 65 percent climate target for 2030. The announced update of the CO2 fleet limits, a boost for charging infrastructure as well as CO2 differentiation relating to vehicle taxation will have an important steering effect towards zero emission modes of transport. We call on the next federal government to promptly implement the measures outlined in the Action Programme following the federal elections in September 2021.
Accelerating the EV transition will be key to meeting the new 2030 climate target for transport and achieving climate neutrality by 2045. Setting concrete targets that can be followed by all stakeholders and establishing framework conditions that support the roll-out of EVs and the expansion of public and private charging infra-structure in Germany will be essential.
The German business "Call to Action"
We have developed a Call to Action, which has been supported by leading businesses with operations in Germany. Together, we call for:
- Implement ambitious ICE phase out: commit to ending the sale of all new cars and vans with internal combustion engine (ICE) in Germany by 2032 at the latest
- Maintain purchase incentives for EVs
- Support ambitious EU CO2 emission standards
- Reduce electricity costs, such as abolition of EEG surcharge
- Expand and strengthen charging infrastructure
- Ensure funding for seamless roll out of charging to reach 2030 infrastructure targets
- Restructure company car tax
- Re-tool and re-train
- Ensure battery re-use and recycling