The SteelZero global policy position sets out six clear policy principles that governments must adopt to support the global decarbonisation of the steel industry.
This report will enable business to advocate for the essential changes needed across sectors, regions, supply chains and partnerships. If done right, this will fast-track the collective action that’s so urgently needed to decarbonise the steel industry.
The report calls on government decision makers to:
- Promote a global standard and definition on what low emission and net zero steel is
- Support the public sector in using low emission and net zero steel in current and future projects
- Get businesses to measure and report on the carbon emissions associated with the steel they use
- Encourage better use of steel in the first place while ensuring that steel can be easily recycled
- Set expectations on what’s needed from steelmakers to drastically cut carbon emissions
- Create a level playing field for net zero steel in global markets