About the initative
The Future Fund empowers subnational governments to accelerate the shift towards a world of under 2°C of warming, through strategic funding that supports climate activities in developing and emerging economy regions.
The role of developing and emerging economy regions is fundamental to make a difference to the world’s climate system. Not only can these regions contribute to a decarbonised world, but implementing mitigation measures can carry significant and much-needed health and socioeconomic benefits to local populations.
However, these regions have traditionally struggled to find resources to join international climate networks, participate in meetings, develop mitigation capacities or share lessons learned due to various resource constraints.
Guide to the Future Fund
Read our latest Future Fund Progress Report
Projects & secondments
- Developing the MRV REDD+ System in West Kalimantan, Indonesia (2020)
- Capacity building and training in the installation of photovoltaic systems by means of a traveling school cart, São Paulo, Brazil (2020)
- Calculating the base scenario for GHG emissions in Colima, Mexico (2019)
- Developing a road map for the implementation of carbon tax in Sonora, Mexico (2019)
- Developing a road map for the implementation of carbon tax in Tabasco, Mexico (2019)
- Updating the GHG inventory in Colima, Mexico (2018)
- Developing a State Action Plan on Climate Change in West Bengal, India (2017)
- Developing a Carbon Management Plan in Yucatán, Mexico (2017)
- KwaZulu-Natal - Yucatán (2020)
- Western Cape - The Climate Group (2019)
- Nariño - Querétaro (Spanish) (2019)
- West Kalimantan - North Rhine-Westphalia (2019)
- Yucatán - British Colombia (2019)
- Kwa-Zulu Natal – Victoria (2018)
- São Paulo - Wales (2018)
- Gujarat - South Australia (2017)
- Western Cape – California (2017)
Engaging in Under2 Coalition activities through capacity building
We aim to provide support on developing 2050 pathways, implementing innovative policy solutions and establishing robust inventories through direct funding to selected regions.
Participating in international negotiations through active engagement and network expansion
We work on recruitment and active engagement with governments from developing and emerging economy regions to commit to the Under2 Coalition’s goals and participate in our programs and events.
Fostering knowledge exchange
We aim to encourage peer-to-peer learning through secondments between developing and developed regions on relevant climate policies and actions.
The Future Fund was launched at COP22 in Marrakech, with founding contributions from Under2 Coalition governments.
Province of Alberta
Government of Ontario
Government of Québec
Government of South Australia